Pastor Taiwo Ayeni is an authority on deliverance ministry. This month, he continues his three-part series on the basics of casting out demons.
It is important to know the patterns of behavior that provide you with the evidence of demonic oppression. There are stages through which satanic oppressions or possessions manifest. When you begin to observe the signs, it will help you identify what is going on.
Regression. Prayerlessness; lack of fellowship, study, and meditation on the Word of God.
Repression. One is hindered from expressing joy, love, and appreciation, and receiving God’s goodness and loving-kindness.
Suppression. Being “pressed down” physically, emotionally, mentally; inhibited, inactive, uninterested, and unenthusiastic about spiritual things.
Depression. Emotional dejection and withdrawal (for example, Saul in I Samuel 16:14, 23).
Oppression. Emotional or psychological weights and physical distraction (Hebrews 12:1).
Obsession. Overwhelming conviction about a situation that is not true of oneself—for example, a lie, poverty, disease, sickness, etc.
Possession. Under full control or dominion by a force greater than oneself.
Before You Cast Out Demons
You must be a person of prayer who is thorough in his dealings with God and strives for holiness. It is very important to wait on the Lord if you want to engage in this ministry. The following are essential:
● Consistent prayer life. You must be a person given to prayer. Prayer is the precursor to the acquisition of power (Isaiah 40:28-31). Therefore, to acquire power you must spend time with God in prayer. You need to have a strong anointing from God, which you could only have received through faithfulness to God in prayer. In this ministry more than any other, there is a strong dependence on the Holy Spirit. Prayer can guarantee this.
● You must possess power to exercise authority. For divine power to back the authority you possess, you must do everything to receive power from on high through praying in the Spirit, meditating on the Word, and fasting. (Ephesians 6:10; Mark 1:27; Luke 4:35.) The Lord Jesus Christ Himself was praying “when heaven was opened” unto Him (Luke 3:21-22), and He was subsequently led by the Spirit and power in Luke 4:1, 14. He has given you the power, so connect to it (Luke 10:17-20).
● The Word is required. You need to be familiar with the Word of God in order to cast out demons. The success I have had in deliverance ministry has come through the relevant use of the Scriptures. The knowledge of the Word through the help of the Holy Spirit equips you with the spiritual sword for battle (Hebrews 4:12).
● The ability to speak in tongues. Jude 20 reveals that we build ourselves up in our most holy faith by praying in the Spirit—speaking in tongues. You need the ability to speak in tongues before, during, and after casting out demons. When you speak in tongues, you speak the language of heaven, and demons succumb to this mystery (I Corinthians 14:2).
● Faith. Without faith there is nothing we can achieve for God. It is faith that makes you stand on the fact that the demons have gone even though you don't see them leave. It is essential to have faith in God's Word and promise: "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues..." (Mark 16:17).
● The name of Jesus. The Bible tells us that at the call of His Name, every knee shall bow (Philippians 2:10). There is no other name under heaven that can guarantee salvation or deliverance (Acts 4:12). You must know and exercise this as a matter of fact.
● The blood of Jesus and the victory on the cross are also potent weapons of war to wield in the battle against demons (Revelation 12:11; Ephesians 2:13-15; Colossians 2:14-15).
Next month, to conclude his series, Pastor Ayeni describes the step-by-step process of casting out demons.
Taiwo Ayeni is president of Rehoboth Bible Ministries, Inc., in Grand Prairie, where he lives with his wife Abidemi and their son and daughter. You may contact him at rehobothbministries.org.